Sonelastic® Systems overview
Systems are modular and customizable instruments. Any Sonelastic®
System is comprised of at least:
- A specimens support, to apply the vibration boundary conditions.
- An impulse device, to excite the specimen.
- An acoustic sensor, to detect the specimen's acoustic response.
- A Sonelastic® Software license with computer, to process the acoustic response and perform the calculations.
Parts in detail:
- The specimen support is crucial for providing the ideal mechanical support without restricting the specimen vibration during the tests.
- The impulse device provides the impulse excitation without generating an acoustic response itself.
- The sensor detects the specimen’s acoustic response.
- The Software digitalizes and processes the acoustic response, and performs the modulus and damping calculations in accordance with the ASTM-E1876 standard.
Systems are able to characterize specimens and materials with the following characteristics:
- Young's modulus from 0.5 to 900 GPa.
- Frequency from 20 Hz to 96 kHz.
- Dimensions from 2 cm (3/4 inch) to 5.3 m (17.4 feet).
- Bar with square or rectangular cross section, cylinder, disc and ring.